10 Things About Me
1. I start my day with: WWD Morning Report, Twitter’s top trending topics/stories and a “Girlfriends in God” devotion
2. Must-have fashion piece: Statement jewellery, especially necklaces, to be layered over a variety of necklines. Dream Piece: Emily Woudenberg’s Scarab Necklace
3. Always in my bag: A Moleskine, a book (currently re-reading a favourite, Eccentric Glamour by Simon Doonan), a copy of Psychology Today or Psychologies, Maybelline Baby Lips balm in Peppermint, a mechanical pencil, two pens (one black ink, the other, blue) and a bottle of water.
5. You can find me: Hiking with my mastiff Zephyr, vintage shopping in Kensington Market/Queen West or eating phở or dim sum in Chinatown.
6. Style Icon: Caroline Issa - Her style reflects her intelligence, ambition and brilliant wit: highly-structured and tailored garments in a muted colour palette with a shot of whimsy. Jenna Lyons, Joanna Hillman and Solange Knowles are also ones whose style I admire.
7. In heavy rotation on my playlist: Radiohead, Jessie Ware, Twin Shadow, Uffie, Frank Ocean, Mark Ronson & The Business Intl, Electric Guest, Nina Simone, Kimbra, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Charles Mingus, Beirut, Diplo/Major Lazer, Betty Davis, Lianne La Havas and Lykke Li.
8. Why Fashion PR?: I’m a chameleon. Though I’ve always been a strong writer, I’ve filled various roles such as event planner, promotions coordinator, media relations specialist, community liaison and sponsorship/partnerships initiator. When I learned that public relations was a career path that encompassed my experiences and strengths, I jumped in head first!
The fashion connection came later while following brand strategies during my PR studies. I read more about designers like Norma Kamali, Diane von Furstenberg and Donna Karan who influenced movements toward healthy living, positive self-image and social justice through fashion and was inspired to work within the industry.
9. Always… give people the benefit of the doubt. You don’t know what they’ve been through in their day, or even life, before they landed in front of you.
10. Dream vacation: I would love to go on a volun-tourism trip to Bolivia or gallery-hopping at Art Basel and its Hong Kong and Miami Beach counterparts in one year.
Now that you’ve learned a little more about me, introduce yourself!
Connect with me:
LinkedIn: Ranu Hamilton
…and keep up with my beauty shenanigans at xoVain: www.xovain.com/author/ranu